Typically I used to try latest version of Windows on VMWare Player, Workstation or VirtualBox. Recently I was trying to set up a Windows Phone 8.0 development environment inside a VMWare virtual machine.
I tried to enable Hyper-V platform components in my Windows 8.1 Preview Virtual machine. It shows an error.
Hyper-V cannot be installed: A hypervisor is already running
- Unable to use Hyper-V platform inside a Windows 8 virtual machine
- When trying to enable/install Hyper-V in a Windows 8 virtual machine, you will see the above error:
Solution for this problem is to edit your VMware Virtual Machine configuration(.vmx) file in your Windows 8 Virtual machine stored location.
- Switch off/Shutdown your VMware virtual machine
- Edit the corresponding .vmx file
- Append the following entries to the vmx file (verify entry if already exists)
hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = “FALSE”
vhv.enable = “TRUE”
mce.enable = “TRUE”
- Save the changes
- Start your Windows 8 VMware Virtual machine
- Now go to Control Panel –> ‘Programs and Features’ –> Turn windows features on or off
- Viola!, You can now enable ‘Hyper-V Platform’ . Now you can install Windows Phone SDK on your Windows 8 Virtual Machine
VMware Official Knowledgebase Reference Link:
Hope that help you guys with similar problems.