January 18, 2013
All, Community, MSDN, Softwarez, Tips & Tricks, Tools, Tweaks, Windows, Windows 7, Windows 8
While searching for Third Party alternative software’s for bringing back windows start menu feel on Windows 8, I came across few interesting tools – and I introduced them in my earlier blog posts – Stardock’s Start8 (licensed version), Classic Shell, Power8 were those.
[logo courtesy: AreaGuard]
Today I just found another cool alternative that you can try for free – StartW8 – is developed by Area Guard. You can install and use the software free of cost. It gives you start menu closer to the appearance of Windows 8 aero look and feel.
Have a look at the screenshot @ http://www.areaguard.com/startw8-start-menu-for-windows8-screenshots
StartW8 key features
- Automatically switch to desktop immediately after signing in
- Added Windows Start menu in Windows 8 design, but Windows 7 functionality
- Activate menu with Win key
- Log off, lock and turn off buttons
- Traditional search field
- Favourite applications
- All user configurable
- Support for silent installation
- Multilanguage support (18 languages)
- Option to ignore the lower left Hot corner
[Quoted from AreaGuard StartW8 website]
Download and Try StartW8 from: http://www.areaguard.com/startw8
Power8 is a similar windows start menu alternative like ‘Classic Shell’, which I introduced in the last post.
Benefits Power8 includes:
- No system files patching;
- No hooks over system objects;
- No app-init DLLs;
- No additional services, drivers, etc;
- No trash in registry;
- No installation – just unpack and launch;
- Small, fast and powerful;
You can download Power8 from http://code.google.com/p/power8/
Being a Windows 8 user you always dreamed of having Start menu back, unfortunately there is no straight work around for having our old Windows 7 kind of start menu back. We have to rely on third part alternative software’s, which provides us the old start menu kind of menu function back to Windows 8. One such best alternative is ‘Classic Shell’.
Classic Shell is a free Start Menu alternative for Windows 8/7.
It gives you:
- Highly customizable start menu with multiple styles and skins
- Start button for Windows 7 and Windows 8
Additionally it helps us to bring back the Toolbar, File Copy and status bar styles as well(if you are not happy with Windows 8 style)
- Toolbar and status bar for Windows Explorer
- Caption and status bar for Internet Explorer
- Classic copy UI
- Show file size in Explorer status bar
Here are some sample screen shots from my PC:
It is FREE!!! and Open Source.
You can download it from main website http://www.classicshell.net/ or from source forge http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/
Stardock Corporation(makers of ObjectDock and WindowBlinds) has released a free tool – Start8 – that will bring Start Menu back to your Windows 8 PC.
This tool will give you a native looking Start Menu to your Windows 8 OS, with more familiar programs listing. It would be useful to all Windows enthusiasts who are really missing Start Menu in your Windows 8 PC.
You can register and download free version of START8 from here.
Here is some screen shots on how it looks.